Education Benefits

Tuition Waiver

Veterans of Massachusetts, as defined by M.G.L. ch. 4, s.7, clause 43, may be eligible for any state-supported course in an undergraduate degree program or certificate program offered by a public college or university. To be eligible, a veteran must also be a legal resident of Massachusetts and he or she must not be in default of any federal student loans.

National Guard Tuition and Fee Waiver
Acts of 2005 ch. 130
Members of the National Guard are eligible for a waiver of both fees and tuition at all state colleges and universities. Please contact the college or university veterans’ representative for details about this program.

How to Apply

To apply for the waiver, the student must present documentation of categorical waiver eligibility to the institution’s Veterans Certifying Official, usually separation papers or copy of orders. For more information, contact the institution you are attending or plan to attend (view participating colleges and universities). You may also contact the Department of Higher Education's Office of Student Financial Assistance.

Additional Financial Assistance:

Post-9/11 GI Bill

The Post-9/11 GI Bill provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service after September 10, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill. Benefits are payable for training pursued on or after August 1, 2009. No payments can be made under this program for training pursued before that date.

In some cases, survivors and dependents may qualify for educational assistance.
1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551)
Monday-Friday 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM CST

Montgomery GI Bill

The Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB) is available for those who enlist in the U.S. Armed Forces. MGIB encompasses both the Montgomery GI Bill-Active Duty (Chapter 30) and The Montgomery GI Bill-Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606). Under Chapter 30, Active Duty members enroll and pay $100 per month for 12 months; and are then entitled to receive a monthly education benefit once they have completed a minimum service obligation. Under Chapter 1606, a reservist must be actively drilling and have a 6-year obligation in the Selected Reserve to be eligible.
1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551)
Monday-Friday 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM CST

Other Programs